Whether you’re new to SEO or an experienced SEO expert, this article is packed with practical tips and quick-win strategies that you can implement right away to improve your website’s search engine rankings. From optimising your website’s structured data and anchor text to improving your site speed and reducing duplicate content, our 18 SEO quick wins cover a range of optimisation tactics to help you improve your website’s SEO strategy.
We’ll show you how to use internal links and internal anchor text to boost the performance of your existing pages, as well as how to implement link-building strategies to get backlinks and boost your domain authority. We’ll also cover the importance of reducing file sizes and improving site speed, as well as the best practices for optimising your website for mobile SEO.
Using WordPress? No problem. We’ve got you covered with tips on how to improve your site speed and internal link structure using WordPress plugins and tools. Plus, we’ll show you how to conduct an SEO audit and analyze your website’s performance using SEO software and tools.
1. Start with Easy Technical Fixes
Optimising your website’s technical SEO is essential for ensuring you are seen in search rankings and providing a good user experience. Here are some easy technical fixes to get started with:
- Run a free website audit – This will identify any technical issues that need to be addressed, such as missing meta tags or broken links.
- Create an optimised sitemap – This will help search engines easily discover your web pages and crawl them more frequently.
- Reduce page load time – Reducing the amount of time it takes for pages to load can improve user experience and boost your site’s SEO.
- Ensure that redirects are set up correctly – Ensure that any redirects from old URLs are pointing to their new destination accurately.
- Utilise structured data – Adding structured data to your pages makes it easier for search engines to understand their context and rank them accordingly.
2. Install a Caching Plugin
Installing a caching plugin is one of the best ways to improve your site speed. Caching plugins work by storing a copy of your website’s content in the server’s memory or disk so that visitors can access it quickly. When used correctly, users won’t have to wait for pages or content to reload each time they navigate your site.
Here are some tips on installing the right caching plugin:
- Determine any specific needs, such as mobile device support or third-party integrations.
- Research various caching plugins available, paying attention to user reviews and ratings.
- Ensure the plugin is compatible with your server platform and website content management system (CMS).
- Download the plugin and follow installation instructions carefully, keeping all backups in case something goes wrong during installation.
- After installation, test out the plugin to ensure it is working correctly before making other changes to your website.
3. Look for Long-Tail Keywords You Already Rank For (But Target Them Separately)
Long-tail keywords are an important part of SEO and can help you rank high in search engine results pages (SERPs). Here are some tips on how to look for long-tail keywords that you already rank for but target separately:
- Utilise SEO tools such as Google AdWords Keyword Planner or Ubersuggest to identify long-tail keywords related to your niche.
- Monitor your website’s ranking in SERPs – this will give you a better understanding of which terms you are already targeting and the ones you should be targeting more specifically.
- Look for related topics and create content around them – writing about related topics can help you appear more prominently in SERPs for those specific queries.
- Monitor your competitors’ strategies – by looking at their tactics and researching their keywords, you may discover areas where your website is currently performing poorly.
4. Optimise the Title Tags of Your Top-Ranking Pages
One of the best ways to optimise your website’s search engine rankings is by optimising the title tags of your top-ranking pages. Title tags are HTML elements that display a concise page description; it is also one of the most important ranking factors used by search engines like Google for indexing and ranking web pages.
To create effective title tags, you will need to research relevant keywords and apply them strategically in combination with relevant words and phrases that accurately describe your content.
Including keywords at the beginning of title tags can provide additional visibility in search results and help users quickly identify the relevance of each page when searching for specific topics. Additionally, remember to keep titles short (no more than 60 characters), so they don’t get cut off in search results.
5. Optimise for Low-Hanging Featured Snippets
Optimising for low-hanging featured snippets is a great way to get more visibility in search engine results pages (SERPs). Featured snippets are small boxes that appear at the top of SERPs and provide quick answers to users’ queries. Not only do they stand out among other search results, they can also help drive increased traffic to your website.
To optimise for low-hanging featured snippets, start by doing keyword research to identify opportunities. Then structure webpages using HTML headings and copy that clearly articulates the answer users are searching for. Finally, submit content through tools like Google Search Console or Bing Webmaster Tools. By taking advantage of these low-hanging fruits, you’ll be well on your way to gaining greater visibility in search engine results.
6. Sign Up for HARO
HARO, which stands for Help A Reporter Out, is a great resource for businesses, bloggers, and journalists. It’s a free tool that connects reporters with sources who can provide expert advice or firsthand accounts for stories they’re writing about. By signing up with HARO, you can gain exposure in the press by having your information quoted in newspapers and magazines.
You’ll also gain backlinks to your website, which can help improve search engine visibility and website traffic. As an added bonus, it’s relatively easy to get started; you have to draft an email pitch or quick bio on yourself with links to any additional relevant information or evidence. Make sure to respond quickly when you see a query that matches your expertise, as journalists are constantly looking for reliable sources of information.
7. Refresh Old Content By Filling Content Gaps
Refresh old content by filling content gaps is a great digital marketing strategy for keeping your website’s content up to date and engaging. By going back through your existing online content, you can add new or updated information that addresses topics you may have missed when the original post was created.
This will help keep the content fresh and interesting for your readers while also helping with search engine optimisation. Adding related images and videos can also boost posts that are getting stale.
Additionally, by targeting keywords in any new or edited copy, you can improve the post’s visibility and relevance in search engine results. Refreshing old content with new information is a great way to get more out of your existing resources and engage readers.
8. Find New Content Ideas from Competitors
One of the best ways to find new content ideas is to look at what your competitors are doing. Study their topics, format, style, and keywords they’re using in their posts and use that as inspiration for your own content. This will help you stay on top of industry trends while also giving you insight into strategies that work for other companies in your niche.
Additionally, it allows you to identify any gaps in their content that you can fill with yours or come up with a topic from a different angle. Taking a comprehensive look at what competitors have published across channels can be a great way to spark content creation for your own website.
9. Find Low-Competition Keywords
Finding low-competition keywords is an important part of effective content marketing. Low-competition keywords have little to no competition in the search engine results, so they’re easier to target and rank for quickly. To find these keywords, start by entering related topics into a keyword research tool and look for relevant terms with low search volumes but high relevancy.
This will help you to identify new opportunities for targeting specific topics without wasting time on highly competitive phrases. Additionally, you can use these low-competition keywords in titles, heading tags, and throughout your copy to make sure your post stands out from the crowd.
10. Get a Google Business Profile
Creating a Google Business Profile is essential to any successful online marketing strategy. Doing so will help you to increase visibility and reach potential customers more efficiently.
It will also enable customers to quickly find your business information, directions to your location, contact information, reviews, and other relevant content. To get started, simply sign up on the Google My Business website, and create a profile by providing basic information about your business (name, phone number, address, etc.). Next, customise it with photos and descriptions of your services/products.
Having a verified Google Business Profile can help you to take advantage of the millions of potential customers that are already searching for businesses like yours.
11. Add a Table of Contents
Adding a table of contents to your content can significantly enhance its readability and usability. A table of contents provides a structured way for readers to quickly access the information they need by offering an organised list of topics and subtopics. To add a table of contents, start by breaking up the content into sections and subsections relevant to the topic.
Then, create a list with clickable links to the sections and subtopics you have included in your post, which will make navigation much easier. Additionally, make sure you indicate which section each link leads to so that readers know where they are being directed before clicking on it.
12. Add FAQ Sections (To Get Long-Tail Traffic)
Adding FAQ sections to your content can be a great way to generate long-tail traffic. This is because people are often looking for very specific information. If it is available in the form of an FAQ section, they will be more likely to find it. When creating an FAQ section, make sure that you focus on the questions most relevant to your topic and target audience.
Doing so will ensure you are providing helpful answers and driving quality traffic. Additionally, include links to other related resources or pages within your website, as this will help visitors find additional information and stay engaged with your content. Organising your FAQs into categories can also help make them easier to read and navigate.
13. Find Guest Post Opportunities Fast
Finding guest post opportunities can be a great way to increase your online presence and reach new audiences. Here are some tips on how to find guest post opportunities quickly:
- Utilise industry-related websites, forums, or social media groups to look for active discussion threads related to your topic. You can often find opportunities there that you would not have known otherwise.
- Reach out to relevant blogs and websites in your niche and inquire about becoming an author or submitting posts.
- Utilise social media sites such as Twitter and LinkedIn to search for publications and influencers who might be looking for guest writers.
- Contact other bloggers directly by email or social media and ask if they are interested in collaborating with you on a post.
Guest posting is beneficial because it allows you to reach a wider audience, build relationships with other professionals in your field, and establish yourself as an authority in the industry.
By publishing quality content on reliable sources of information, you can drive more traffic to your website or blog. This can also improve SEO rankings by increasing the number of external links pointing back to your site, thus generating more organic search traffic.
14. Find Easy-to-Replicate Backlinks
Building backlinks is an essential part of SEO and one of the most potent ways to boost your website’s rankings. Here are some tips for finding easy-to-replicate backlinks:
- Utilise link roundups – these are posts by bloggers or influencers where they list out their favourite websites and links in a particular field or industry.
- Take advantage of blog comment sections – if you leave a relevant and insightful comment on someone else’s blog post, they might include a link to your site.
- Look for resource pages that list the best tools, websites, guides etc., related to your topic and offer to have your site added.
- Look for broken links on websites related to your topic and reach out to webmasters offering them your content as a replacement.
- Try guest blogging – aside from reaching new audiences and building relationships, most guest posts will allow a link back to your website in exchange for the content.
15. Reclaim Lost Links
Reclaiming lost links is a great way to improve your website’s search engine ranking and overall visibility. Lost links can happen for various reasons, such as website redesigns or changes in how content is hosted online. Here are some tips for reclaiming these lost links:
- Use tools like Google Search Console and Ahrefs to uncover any broken or “404” links on your site.
- Reach out to the source of the link and ask if they would be willing to update it with an alternate URL from your site.
- Create new content that addresses the topic covered by the original link to make it more likely for them to link back.
- Check for any inbound links that have gone cold due to poor SEO practices or technical issues. Use 301 redirects where necessary to ensure visitors aren’t sent to pages that no longer exist.
- Monitor newly established links carefully and regularly check that posts linking back are still active.
16. Add Internal Links and Improve Internal Link Structure
Boosting important pages on your website can be beneficial in helping users find the information they’re looking for. Internal links can be crafted to guide users towards higher-priority pages while also increasing engagement.
Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Look through each page of your website and list any key pages that should be highlighted.
- Once you’ve identified the key pages, think about ways to link them throughout the site. This could include relevant text or a more direct approach, such as adding a button to the navigation section linking directly to those pages.
- Consider adding relevant internal links from content on your site; this will encourage readers to explore further into your site and learn more about your company or product.
- Finally, remember meta descriptions! They can provide more details about what readers will find on the linked page and draw attention from search engines like Google, which can lead to organic traffic growth.
17. Optimise for Humans Using the Search Engine
Optimising your website for humans is just as important as optimising it for search engines. Here are some tips on how to do this:
- Create content that is easy to read and understand – focus on making sure that the content is clear and comprehensible, as opposed to complex and vague. A readability score is a good benchmark for it.
- Ensure your pages contain relevant information – ensure that all the content you create contains useful, up-to-date information from which people can benefit.
- Utilise visuals – adding images, videos, and infographics make a page more exciting and engaging for users.
- Use keywords naturally – including keywords in your text can help search engines understand what the page is about and rank it better. However, be careful not to overuse them or unnaturally use them.
18. Create Provocative, Highly Shareable Content
Generating provocative and highly shareable content can be a great way to get your content seen and engage with your audience. Here are some tips on how to create content like this:
- Incorporate storytelling – adding a narrative to your content can make it more exciting and engaging.
- Prompt discussion – encourage people to discuss the subject matter by asking questions and sparking debate.
- Provide fresh perspectives – look at an issue from different angles or challenge conventional wisdom to stand out from the crowd.
- Use visuals – As we mentioned earlier, adding images, videos, GIFs, Etc., can make your content more visually appealing and attractive for users.
To conclude, optimising your website for humans and search engines is essential to ensure that it stands out from the competition and reaches the right audience. However, this is a complicated process that requires knowledge and experience.
Looking for an expert service to help you accomplish some quick SEO wins? Contact Digital Estate – we’re happy to help provide you with the expertise you need or point you in the right direction.