Table of Contents
Chapter #5: Technical SEO
- How websites work
- How Google understands websites
- How people interact with websites
How Websites Work
How New Websites Are Setup and Attract Visitors
‘Wellingtons Wellies’ won’t appear properly until the browser download’s your web page’s code, analyses it, and executes it. If the browser still needs more code it will make another request to the server.
Most Websites Are Built Using These 3 Common Codes
The 3 main types of web code are:
You won’t need to learn how to write your web pages using HTML. Most CMS platforms, like WordPress websites, allow you to upload content and make changes in simple, user-friendly formats. The changes to your site’s HTML will automatically happen behind the scenes. For example, creating an H1 headline won’t require you to modify your HTML and add the coding tag of –
- CSS files can house style directives, keeping them out of your page’s HTML. This makes your website less code-heavy, reduces file transfer size, and can make your website load faster.
- CSS files are still downloaded by browsers. By compressing these files your website can load faster, giving Google another reason to rank you over your competition.
- CSS files can take the pressure off your site’s code. This can lead to better indexing of your site’s content.
How Google Understands Websites
Get More Clicks With Schema Markup
- You can use multiple types of schema markup on the same page to trigger multiple rich snippets. However, if you mark up one element on a page, e.g. a product, you must mark up all products on the same page.
- Provide original and up-to-date content on your structured data pages.
- Marked up reviews should be written by real, 100% genuine customers, not your own business.
- Use schema markup on duplicate pages, not just the canonical version.
What to Tell Google When You Have Duplicate Pages
How People Interact With Websites
Keep Your Mobile Visitors in Mind
Mobile-First Indexing Has Arrived
What Is Responsive Design?
AMP Websites Explained
How to Improve Your Mobile Site Page Speed
- ✘ Google’s PageSpeed Insights Tool
- ✘ Google’s Page Speed Best Practices Guide
- ✘ Google’s Mobile Website Speed & Performance Tester
- ✘ Google Lighthouse
Are Your Images Slowing down Your Page Speed?
- Image compression
- Optimising image alt text
- Choosing the right image format
- Submitting image sitemaps to Google
Technical SEO Tips for International SEO
- 1). Language
- 2). Country